Choleric Temperament in Astrology
The Choleric temperament combines the Hot and Dry qualities associated with the Fire element.
It manifests itself by enthusiasm, energy, and quick actions; originates determined, courageous, and ambitious personalities. They are always ready for action, and they are enterprising and enthusiastic. They do not give in easily to obstacles.
If properly moderated, it gives a spirit of leadership and strong willpower. Although he does not lose his enthusiasm quickly, the choleric tends to change direction several times and start various projects throughout his life.
His focus is action and achievement, so details rarely stop him. Sometimes he is rushed and inconsistent. Due to his lack of patience, this temperament is not very given to study and research.
Emotionally, he is not very demonstrative, and his “dryness” can make him rigid and even insensitive. Impatience makes him ungrateful in his expressions, becoming rude and hostile.
Reacts to external threats or challenges can be aggressive or even violent with great intensity. In extreme cases, the combination of insensitivity and ease in expressing your anger can make you cruel.
If the Choleric temperament has features Melancholic, personality tends to be more moderate in their actions. In this combination, the Dry quality predominates, indicating a tendency to retain anger, generating distrust and a lousy mood.
However, this combination of temperaments gives greater constancy, study capacity, and curiosity since the Cold of the Melancholic moderates the Heat of the Choleric.
The presence of the Phlegmatic restricts the constant activity and impulsive response of the Choleric since it is a mixture of complementary primitive qualities (Hot and Dry, on the one hand, Cold and Humid, on the other). In addition, it causes a more excellent emotional contrast, generating all kinds of temperamental attitudes.
More extraordinary lightness and sociability attenuate the angry expression if the secondary temperament is Sanguineous. There is greater sensitivity and adaptability (Wet moderates the hardness of Dry), but since they both share the Hot quality, there is some agitation and inconstancy.
In physiognomic terms, a Choleric body tends to be lean, muscular, and hairy. The height is medium or low. The skin is rough and warm, shiny, yellowish, or reddish. You can modify these characteristics by combining other temperaments.
In the medical/physiological field, the choleric temperament is associated with the humor called “yellow bile” (sometimes the term bilious is synonymous with Choleric).
According to the ancient medical system, this state of mind, which focuses on the gallbladder, served as a clarifier of the remaining states of mind, instilled movement and action, and warmed the body.
Practical Application of Temperaments
Temperaments are the key to interpreting a horoscope.
Each planet or sign has affinities with one of the four temperaments, which serves as the basis for defining its characteristics.
The combination of the temperament of a planet and that of the sign where it is placed is the basis of astrological interpretation.
In Natal Astrology, it is possible to determine each individual’s temperament (or combination of temperaments). This global temperament describes the essential characteristics which condition all behaviors, motivations, and personal dynamics.
The manifestation of the particularities indicated on the map is always subject to the dominant temperament. For example, an astrological indicator of aggressiveness will have a different expression on an angry temperament map (which reinforces the aggressive tendency) or on a phlegmatic temperament map (which retracts it). The temperament is, therefore, a background on which the personality manifests.
The calculation for determining individual temperament has a degree of complexity, which considers the relative weight of the four primitive qualities of the horoscope.
In the weighting, the primitive qualities of the Ascendant and the Moon (as well as the planetary configurations associated with it) are considered. The temperament of the sun sign is added.
Source - Helena Avelar and Luís Ribeiro, in Treatise on the Spheres - A Practical Guide to the Astrological Tradition. Editorial Pergaminho. Cascais, Portugal, 2007, pp. 45-6.
Primordial Qualities - The Principle of Everything
In astrology, vital energy initially manifests through the Primordial Qualities (also designated as Primary Qualities or Primitive Qualities). These are present in nature and matter, subtly regulating cosmic energy.
All forms of life are expressed through the Primitive Qualities, and they are also the pieces that constitute the elements, signs, and planets. That is, they are the basic foundation of Astrology.
Each of these axes represents opposite attributes:
- Hot and cold
- Dry and Wet
- Hot - action, movement, impulsiveness
- Cold - receptivity, passivity, melancholy, observation
- Dry - permanence, stagnation, crystallization, concentration
- Wet - flexibility, volatility malleability
Primitive Qualities and the Energy of the Planets
Planet / Quality / Element / Temperament
- Sun - Hot and Dry = Fire (Choleric)
- Moon - Cold and Humid = Water (Phlegmatic)
- Mercury - this planet does not have a defined quality, as it tends to absorb the qualities of what it comes into contact with. However, it is considered Cold and Dry when viewed in isolation without any other influence. (Melancholic)
- Venus - Cold and Humid = Water (Phlegmatic)
- Mars - Hot and Dry = Fire (Choleric)
- Jupiter - Hot and Humid = Air (Blood)
- Saturn - Cold and Dry = Earth (Melancholic)
- What Is Your Biggest Insecurity Based On Your Astrology Zodiac Sign?
- Which Zodiac Is Most Humble And Which One Is Most Self-centered?
- 12th House In Astrology: Karma, Unconsciousness, Reintegration
- 2nd House In Astrology: Potential, Security, Assets
- 3rd House In Astrology: Mind, Environment, Siblings
- 5th House In Astrology: Self-expression, Creativity And Children
- 6th House In Astrology: Work, Health And Small Animals
- 7th House In Astrology: Relationships And Couples
- 8th House In Astrology: Transcending Personal Limits
- 10th House In Astrology: Social Status And Reputation
- Phlegmatic Temperament In Astrology
- Choleric Temperament In Astrology
- Blood Temperament In Astrology
- Melancholic Temperament In Astrology
- The Most Honest Astrology Zodiac Signs